The Azores | Pico Modern Nature Retreat
Enjoy a stunning nature retreat at this brand new eco-resort on a remote corner of Pico Island
This offer includes:
- Roundtrip flights to Pico Island, Azores
- Accommodation at a beautiful private bungalow in the Lava Homes "village"
- One (1) Dinner at Lava Homes' Restaurant - Magma
Why we love this deal:
- Enjoy all the comforts of home when you stay in one of the charming, modern bungalows of Pico's brand new Lava Homes "village", nestled in a quiet corner of the island's North Coast with stunning ocean views
- Wander around Criação Velha, a well preserved wine growing area, and marvel at its intact vineyard landscape and culture while tasting the local wines and admiring the construction of typical black basalt rock houses
- Learn about Pico's rich history and traditions by visiting the Wine Museum and the Whaler's Museum and discover Pico's long wine-making tradition dating back to the 15th century and its past whale-hunting customs
- Return to the beauty of nature unobstructed by city centers and light pollution. Gaze at the starry Azorean sky, relax sipping the exquisite local wine and tasting the delicious cuisine, and enjoy the great views around you
- While you're at Pico Island you may visit Faial Island too, since there is an hourly connection by boat that takes you there in approximately half an hour
About the Accommodation
The Lava Homes bungalows and cottages were historic homes reconstructed into beautiful, modern and fully eco-friendly accommodations built with comfort and nature conservation in mind. Each of the 14 refurbished units highlights the unique landscape, cultural heritage and the gorgeous, remote environmental surroundings of the tranquil village of Santo Amaro located on the north coast of Pico Island. Located about 20km from the largest town on the northern coast, Santo Amaro is a sleepy coastal village with a rural population of about 300 inhabitants. Known for its hospitality and welcoming atmosphere, visitors are drawn to charming Santo Amaro for its natural pools, beautiful picnic areas and regional handicraft school.
Guests can enjoy superb panoramic sea and coastal views, views to São Jorge Island across the channel and even views to the top of Pico Mountain on a clear day. Guests can also take advantage of the historic nature hiking trails in the area, teeming with indigenous flora and fauna as well as the picturesque ancient ruins of the village's early settlers. Built for leisure, guests of Lava Homes can take in a yoga class with panoramic views at the resort's studio, book a relaxing massage, indulge in a wine tasting or relax at the luxurious infinity pool, all on-site.
All housing units are equipped with photovoltaic panels, pellet stoves are used for heating, cooling is done by natural ventilation, water tanks have been kept for use in the irrigation, and the drinking water served is filtered local water by an active carbon system.
About the Destination
Often referred to as Europe's “Best Kept Secret”, the Azores have become an increasingly popular destination with year-round appeal for travelers. Just four hours from Boston, the Azores are now easier to access and explore than ever before. Pico Island, dominated by Portugal's highest mountain-the majestic Pico- is an island of unique beauty, authentic customs and traditions, and a mesmerizing man-made landscape protected by UNESCO. With our flight and hotel package we invite you to visit and have a wonderful vacation in one of the most beautiful islands of the Atlantic.
Pico Island is known for its remarkable pattern of stone-walled vineyards (currais) which paint its stunning green landscape, for its rocky lava shores and for the imposing Pico Mountain. Wander around Criação Velha, a well preserved wine growing area and marvel at its intact vineyard landscape and culture. Taste the local wines and admire the construction of typical black basalt rock houses. Learn about Pico's rich history and traditions by visiting the Wine Museum and the Whaler's Museum and discover Pico's long wine-making tradition dating back to the 15th century and its past whale-hunting customs.
Descend into Gruta das Torres, one of the world's longest lava tubes. Climb the highest mountain in Portugal or simply admire its grandeur from different spots on the island. Go hiking, whale-watching, swim in natural swimming pools and admire the island's spectacular coastal setting.
- The flights included are subject to live availability and prices can change. You can choose your preferred departure times during the booking process. Please select your flight options carefully as departure and arrival airports may differ.
- Included baggage allowance varies by carrier. Please check what's included during the flight selection portion of your booking.
- Infants: If you're traveling with an infant under 2 years old, please contact us within 24 hours of booking your trip. (Cost per infant is $150.)
- Check-in time for most hotels is at 2:00pm; Check-out is typically at 12:00pm. Please verify the check-in/check-out times for your selected accommodation at time of booking.
- Airport transfers are not included in this offer; We recommend booking a rental car to get around
- Transfers and/or rent-a-cars can be added at the next stage of the booking process for an additional fee
Please note that this promotional offer is nonrefundable.
Nonrefundable special price packages:
Once the payment is made, the reservation cannot be cancelled. No refund in case of cancellation or no-show. Any and all changes made to the reservation after the airplane tickets have been issued are subject to a penalty fee to be communicated at the time the alterations are requested.
All prices include airfare, fuel surcharges, airport taxes and fees. All prices are per person, based on double/twin occupancy. Single travelers must pay an extra fee.
Air & land tour prices apply from the gateway airport or city specified in the Package Highlights. Prices will vary from alternative gateway airports or cities and may be higher.
The total price will be clearly displayed prior to any deposit being required. Should the hotel mentioned in the deal not be available for the dates in question, the company will make the reservation for another hotel of the same category and let you know immediately of the change.
Important disclaimer information:
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
The amount to be charged by Azores Getaways does not include any fees or commissions that may be applied by the client's bank to process the payment(s).
The optional cost(s) of upgrades and add-ons for additional services (airline, rental car, or others) are at the discretion of the client to select during the booking process and are not included in the final package cost unless specifically stated in the description (eg: additional luggage, transfers, drivers, extra insurance, or other).
Clients are responsible for ensuring the correct entry of personal data of the passenger(s) when booking flights or they will be subject to additional fees for any corrections at the discretion of the airline.
Any additional tourist or municipal taxes imposed by each individual destination in a booking are not included and must be paid directly at the accommodation; Clients are strongly urged to research any possible applicable taxes prior to travel.
When you purchase your ticket, you agree to the following rules and restrictions:
NON-TRANSFERABILITY OF TICKET
Tickets issued via Azores Getaways are non-transferable and can only be used by the person whose name is indicated on the ticket. Valid proof of identity must be presented whenever required upon check-in. If it is found that the person presenting the ticket is not the same person named as passenger in the ticket or if such person is unable to satisfactorily prove that he/she is the same person named in the ticket, then the Carrier shall refuse carriage to such person and reserves the right to retain and confiscate the ticket so presented.
NON-REFUNDABILITY OF TICKET
Please assume that the fare is non-refundable and any change or cancellation will result in full forfeiture of the value of the ticket with no refund or credit available. Rules and restrictions as imposed by the airline(s) will be applicable to your fare should you need to change or cancel your flight(s).
Azores Getaways issues airfare in partnership with affiliate airlines via their departing cities only. Azores Getaways does not provide through-ticket or connecting flight services, and as such, can not be held responsible for connecting flight delays or cancellations that are issued through unaffiliated providers. Customers are responsible for any fees or additional charges that may be incurred as a result of a missed or changed flight. Azores Getaways has no liability and will make no refund in the event of any delay, cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or other such causes, and holds no responsibility for any additional expenses, omissions, delays, re-routing or acts of any government or authority.
TRAVEL & BOOKING RECOMMENDATIONS:
When booking your itinerary, be sure to arrange connections with a sufficient window of time between flights to allow for any cancellations or delays due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. For customers who require a connecting flight to reach one of Azores Getaways' departing cities, we recommend booking flights with a layover of at least 6 hours between connections.
The passenger is required to arrive at Carrier's check-in location sufficiently in advance of the indicated flight departure time to permit completion of any government formalities and departure procedures and in any event not later than the time that maybe indicated by the Carrier. If the passenger fails to arrive on time at Carrier's check-in counter or boarding gate (even if the passenger has already checked-in for the flight), Carrier may cancel the space reserved for the passenger. Carrier is not liable to the passenger for loss or expense due to the passenger's failure to comply with these provisions.
Get to the airport as early as possible to allow time for check-in, baggage check and security. Some airports require a longer minimum check-in time before scheduled departure, depending on your trip. If you’re traveling on another airline, their check-in times apply.
Recommended Arrival Times:
- Intercontinental Flights: 3 Hours prior to departure
- International (Short/Medium Distance Travel): 2 Hours prior to departure
- Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel. Passport required for international flights.
- TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.
- For more detailed information and tips, please refer to this helpful Traveler's Checklist provided by the U.S. Government - Department of State.