The Azores | Islands of Adventure
With two guided tours on each island, you can get a full picture of what these stunning locations have to offer!
Why we love this deal:
- We love this deal because it offers an incredible opportunity to explore some of the most breathtaking sights in the Azores Islands without worrying about a thing!
- When you reach Terceira Island, you'll get a guided tour around Angra do Heroísmo City, which is known for its iconic churches and vibrant culture. Then, you'll go on a half-day tour around the island where you can explore scenic views like Lagoa das Patas, Biscoitos natural pools and the Raminho viewpoint. Along the way, expect to be astounded by dramatic volcanic landscapes.
- In São Miguel Island enjoy a full-day tour to Sete Cidades and Lagoa do Fogo, where you'll get a chance to admire stunning lagoons and gorgeous views over the countryside. Plus, you'll have lunch along the way so you can fuel up for your adventure. In addition to that, the package also includes a walking tour to Sanguinho Salto do Prego Waterfall—where you can take in its gorgeous cascading waters, followed by a visit to Furnas—where you can take in its beautiful geothermal springs and bubbling mud pits.
- All in all, this is an incredible deal that gives travelers an opportunity to experience some of Portugal's most spectacular sights in a hassle-free guided experience. From delightful hikes and crystal-clear waterfalls to vibrant cities and picturesque beaches—this vacation package has something for everyone!
Suggestion for the day:
- Visiting the Algar do Carvão and Gruta do Natal in Terceira Island is an amazing experience. The Algar do Carvão is a geological formation that opened up around 12 million years ago due to volcanic eruptions, making it one of the oldest lava tubes in Europe. Its walls are made of basaltic rock with many stalactites and stalagmites. The cave also features lava curtains, which are formed when the hot lava drips from the ceiling, as well as incredible reflective pools and skylights.
- The Gruta do Natal, or Christmas Cave is located near the village of Biscoitos and has been open to visitors since 1994. It is filled with crystal formations that form unique sculptures, creating an otherworldly atmosphere that can take your breath away.
- On this tour, you'll get up close and personal with historical monuments like São Mateus' Whaling Museum, Azulart Pottery, and Local Cheese Factory.
- But don't forget outdoor delights such as Lagoa das Patas National Park – full of rare plants & trees - Biscoitos’ archaeological lava swimming pools filled by raging ocean waves; finally, make your way to Raminho Viewpoint offers an unparalleled view. Experience it for yourself...
- Immerse yourself in the captivating history of Angra do Heroísmo! Take a stroll through its centuries-old streets and uncover stories, legends, traditions, and culture that give it an unforgettable character. Feel your imagination come alive amidst the salty sea breeze while savoring exotic aromas from traditional bakeries and restaurants. Lose yourself in this harmonious city's magnificent heritage - art lovers won't be able to resist taking it all in. This journey of discovery begins at Alto das Covas; you definitely don't want to miss out on this unique experience!
Suggestion for the day:
- Strolling around downtown Ponta Delgada is a delightful experience. The streets are lined with quaint cafes, colorful boutiques, and cozy restaurants. On sunny days, you can enjoy the warmth of the sun as you wander through vibrant squares filled with locals and tourists alike. As you explore this charming town, you will find many interesting sites to visit. From historic churches and picturesque markets to vibrant parks and beautiful beaches, every corner of Ponta Delgada has something unique to offer visitors.
- Not to miss:
- Portas da Cidade
- Louvre Michaelense
- Pineapple Plantations
- Matriz Church
- The Azorean archipelago is home to two stunning destinations, Sete Cidades and Lagoa do Fogo.
- The Sete Cidades Lake is an iconic double-crater lake located on the western side of São Miguel Island in the Azores. This unique natural formation was created by volcanic activity many thousands of years ago, with two separate crater lakes created out of a single large crater. The lakes are connected by a narrow water channel, and their tranquil waters reflect the lush green landscape that envelops them. It's said that anyone who visits this magical place will be forever changed by its beauty and serenity.
- Lagoa do Fogo is another must-see spot on São Miguel Island within a cinder cone volcano. Here you can admire breathtaking views of the caldera lake created by centuries of volcanism which fills its interior with turquoise waters so clear they appear bottomless.
- This tour begins with a breathtaking panoramic view from Salto do Cavalo, allowing us to appreciate Furnas and Povoação's natural beauty. From there you explore the ancient village of Povoação before embarking on an adventurous trek through Faial da Terra valley - where marauding pirates once roamed! You will also have the chance to come across a mysterious hidden village tucked away in nature’s embrace as well as swim at one stunningly beautiful waterfall or another -- both sights surely not soon forgotten!
- Furnas, a picturesque paradise that offers spectacular views of lush green valleys, dramatic volcanic lakes, dramatic volcanic craters, and incredibly hot springs. Whether it be trekking up a volcano or paddleboarding in vibrant lagoon waters- adventure awaits at every turn!
*itinerary presented is a suggestion and the length of stay may vary. All tours are suggestions unless clearly stated.
About the Destination:
The Azores are an archipelago of nine stunning volcanic islands located in the mid-Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Portugal.
São Miguel Island
São Miguel is the largest of the nine Azorean islands and is often referred to as "The Green Island" due to its beautiful scenery and lush vegetation. It boasts a mix of volcanic landscapes, including craters, hot springs, moon-like calderas, dramatic cliffs, beaches, and rolling hills. There are also several unique attractions on the island including Fogo Lake, Caldeira Velha’s hot spring baths, and Sete Cidades Lake with its spectacular views.
Terceira, known as “The Purple Island” is smaller but no less impressive than São Miguel. Boasting a variety of unique attractions such as Angra do Heroísmo's dramatic fortifications, Gruta do Natal's natural rock formations and Algar do Carvão's underground volcano crater, there is something to discover at every turn on this delightful island.
Check out our Azores Travel Guide for more information and tips.