The Azores | Terceira Cultural Experience
Discover the traditions and the unique cultural heritage of Terceira Island, whose capital is a UNESCO Heritage Site!
Why we love this deal:
- This travel package takes the stress out of having to plan everything yourself. Pack your bags and don't forget the adventurous spirit;
- We have made a selection of accommodations in recommended locations for those visiting the island for the first time;
- Breakfast is included during your stay, depending on the accommodation selected;
- This travel package includes a full day tour;
- You can customize your travel itinerary as you like, adding more nights' stay, experiences or car rental, to make your stay even more special;
- You won't have to worry about a thing, as we have taken care of everything for you.
About the Experience:
Learn all about Terceira's unique traditions, from cheese-making, to embroidery, to ceramics and everything in between! This tour will take you on an authentic cultural journey to learn firsthand about some historic traditions and local industries that have withstood the test of time.
- Visit a local embroidery shop to learn about the history of hand embroidery in the Azores, a tradition and craft industry that started as far back as the 18th century
- Learn how the beautiful pottery and ceramics of the Azores are made, see the making of a clay Alcatra pot in action, and watch a local artist design and paint beautiful Portuguese tiles
- Visit local dairy producers to learn about how all the delicious cheese, yogurt and ice creams are made on the island -- traditions you can taste for yourself!
- Stop into a few local museums to see and learn about how the locals lived on Terceira centuries ago
About the Destination:
Terceira Island is a favorite among travelers who fly out of Boston to Azores. or from Toronto to Azores. Not only is it closer, but it is also a very unique island, where you can spend a full week at least without ever getting bored or running out of new things to do and see. There’s a reason why people say the Azores have ‘’Eight islands and an amusement park’’, and guess which island they are calling the amusement park? Terceira Island, of course! Now if that doesn’t make you want to come and see what all the fun fuss is about for yourself, we don’t know what will!
Nearly 56,500 people call this beautiful island home. Terceira is the perfect Azores island for those seeking a relaxing but active vacation, with outdoor adventures galore never more than a 20-minute drive away. Besides its dozens of gorgeous natural swimming pools to dive in during the summer, Terceira Island also has plentiful choices for enjoying yourself during the winter. Terceira Island is also home to the Azores’ most iconic patchwork landscapes -- gorgeous scenery reminiscent of the Irish and Icelandic countryside -- and to one of the only lava tubes in the world that you can actually visit and see up-close and personal. Terceira Island is also home to the only official UNESCO city in the Azores Islands, Angra do Heroísmo! This charming city is the most picturesque and beautiful one in all of the Azores. Other famous sights that are must-sees in Terceira Island are Monte Brasil, Serra do Cume, and Lagoa das Patas, just to name a few. But there are so many more you won’t want to miss!