The Azores | São Miguel & Terceira
Visit the 2 most popular Azores Island in a single trip! Get ready for a unique vacation in the mid-Atlantic.
Why we love this deal:
- This travel package offers something for everyone - picturesque scenery, great food, plenty of activities to try out and fascinating history.
- Terceira Island is the perfect place to explore Portugal’s unique culture, history and traditions. From its ancient castles that stand guard over its mysterious past to the quaint cobbled streets that wind through its small towns and villages, it’s easy to see why this island is so beloved by locals and visitors alike. The city of Angra do Heroísmo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a wealth of cultural sites including churches, monasteries and fortresses that date back centuries.
- São Miguel is known as ‘The Green Island’ due to its lush green forests and stunning beaches. It’s also home to an array of stunning hot springs which attract tourists from far and wide – the Furnas Valley being one of the most popular spots. São Miguel is also renowned for its seafood cuisine with many seafood feasts served up in local restaurants featuring fresh catch from the day’s fishing boats.
- Customizable: Add more nights to your stay, a rental car or even local excursions!
We recommend booking airport transfers or reserving a rental car and adding an early check-in (available during the booking process). Take the day to explore your hotel and enjoy its facilities!
- Sé Cathedral
- Capitães-Generais Palace
- Garden Duque de Bragança
- Alto da Memória Viewpoint
- Misericórdia Church
- Angra do Heroísmo Archeological Underwater Park (book here your boat tour)
- Monte Brasil
- Duque de Bragança Farmers Market
- Silveira Natural Pools.
Book our Angra do Heroísmo City Tour here.
Visit the Biscoitos natural swimming pools and the Biscoitos Wine Museum. Next, move on to Praia da Vitória and don’t skip a nice walk in its calm-water beaches, along with the Facho Viewpoint and the Império da Caridade. We highly recommend that you head to Serra do Cume for sunset (it is even more magical at this time of the day).
Book here your Terceira Full-day Guided Tour.
Take this day as an opportunity do something unique: get inside a volcano! Make sure you don’t skip a visit to Gruta do Natal, Furnas do Enxofre, and last but not least, the famous Algar do Carvão! Descend 90 m (300 ft) down into one of the only volcanoes in the world that you can actually enter and explore! Algar do Carvão is an ancient lava tube and volcanic chimney that was formed approximately 3,200 years ago, making it quite a sight to behold. For the ultimate geo-tourism itinerary make sure you don’t skip a visit to Gruta do Natal and Furnas do Enxofre.
Book here your Terceira Volcanoes Experience.
Arrival in São Miguel Island. We recommend booking airport transfers or reserving a rental car and adding an early check-in (available during the booking process).
Take the day to stroll around Ponta Delgada’s city streets. Ponta Delgada, the main city, is not only the hub of the island but the capital of the Azores. Ponta Delgada evokes all the charms of Europe with cobbled streets, sidewalk cafes, and a thriving culinary scene.
Not to miss:
- Portas da Cidade
- Louvre Michaelense
- Pineapple Plantations
- Matriz Church
Or book here your Ponta Delgada City Tour.
- Lagoa das Sete Cidades
- Lagoa de Santiago
- Lagoa do Canário
- Boca do Inferno Viewpoint
Other highlights along the way:
- Mosteiros - ideal for sunset!
- Ocean thermal bath at Ferraria
Head to the north side of the island to visit the Protected Natural Reserve of Lagoa do Fogo and take this chance to visit (and maybe bath) the thermal pools of Caldeira Velha. Once you’re here you can also visit the Salto do Cabrito waterfall! On your way to Furnas, we recommend that you stop at Porto Formoso and Gorreana Tea Plantations (the only ones in Europe). In Furnas there’s just so much to explore, such as the lake, the Pico do Ferro Viewpoint, the Grená Park, the caldeiras, the fumaroles, the Terra Nostra Park, the Dona Beija hot springs and so much more. Make sure to try out the local delicacies: the cozido das Furnas and the bolos lêvedos!
Book here your Furnas guided tour.
Embark on a whale & dolphin-watching experience (book here).
About the Destination:
Often referred to as Europe's “Best Kept Secret”, the Azores have become an increasingly popular destination with year-round appeal for travelers.
Striking the perfect balance between lush volcanic landscapes and seaside cities with charming European vibes, you will be pleasantly surprised by Terceira island.
Classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, Terceira's capital city of Angra do Heroísmo is dotted by historical buildings, colorful houses, restaurants, shops, and cafes that you'll love to discover. Head across the island to visit the seaside town of Praia da Vitória to take in the sights: a beautiful black sandy bay, picturesque cobblestone streets and the breathtaking Serra do Cume, one of the best views on the island.
São Miguel Island
São Miguel Island, the largest of the Azores archipelago and its economic and administrative center, is a beautiful green jewel in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. With stunning lush landscapes, exotic plants, dormant volcanoes, hot springs, and surrounded by clean waters, São Miguel is the perfect vacation destination for nature lovers and those looking for an off-the-beaten-path European destination.
Explore the island and marvel at its natural beauty. Hike down a dormant volcano and relax on the beach surrounding its lake. Visit the only tea plantation in Europe and taste delicious locally grown pineapple. Discover the historical city of Ponta Delgada with its cobbled streets and black and white mosaic pavements.
Check out our Azores Travel Guide for more informations and tips.