The Azores | São Miguel Ultimate Guided Adventure
Uncover the best of São Miguel Island with our excursion-inclusive adventure on a completely hassle-free experience!
Why we love this deal:
- Discover the best of São Miguel Island with our air and land-inclusive trip, providing you with a nearly fully booked adventure (we take care of all the details!).
- Enjoy the opportunity to meet new friends along the way with four guided group day trips included.
- See the best of São Miguel Island – part of the Azores archipelago and known for its incredible volcanic scenery, boasting jaw-dropping hikes, mild weather year-round and crystal waters perfect for an afternoon swim
- Accommodation and breakfast are included, with a 7-night stay at one of two centrally-located hotels. Additionally, a traditional buffet lunch and the famoso cozido das Furnas is included on this package - prepare your tastebuds! (Total meals included: 7 breakfasts + 2 lunches)
- Guided tours include a Ponta Delgada city tour, whale and dolphin watching excursion, Sete Cidades + Lagoa do Fogo, and a Furnas full-day tour.
- Customizable: Add more nights to your stay, a rental car, or even local excursions!
Arrival at São Miguel Island. Check in at Canadiano | Urban Nature Hotel. It is recommended that you book an early check-in.
09:30AM - 12:00PM: Ponta Delgada City Tour
This tour takes place in what is considered the "capital" of São Miguel Island – the city of Ponta Delgada. During this tour, we will discover the main historical, cultural, and noteworthy sites of this wonderful city.
Highlights of this tour include:
- Old churches and convents
- Monument of Portas da Cidade
- Pineapple plantations (* if not possible during the City Tour, this visit will take place during one of the Full-Day Tour)
- Historical Beautiful gardens
- São Brás Fortress and São Francisco square
9AM - 5PM: Sete Cidades & Lagoa do Fogo Tour
A full-day tour that takes you to the two most famous lagoons of São Miguel Island.
Sete Cidades: One of the 7 Natural Wonders of Portugal, this show-stopping, lake-filled crater has become one of the signature and most famous images of the Azores. There are (amazingly) 11 lakes in total scattered around Sete Cidades, but they can only be seen from certain angles from the various miradouros (viewpoints in Portuguese) in the area.
Lagoa do Fogo: Lagoa do Fogo, which translates roughly into "Lagoon of Fire", is a crater lake located at the center of São Miguel Island. This protected nature reserve sits tucked away atop the impressive Pico da Barrosa, far above the whir, hum, and hurry of civilization below.
Highlights of this tour include:
- Pineapple plantations (* if already visited during the City Tour, it will be substituted for a different point of interest)
- Escalvado viewpoint (offering a magical view to Mosteiros)
- Sete Cidades parish
- Santiago lagoon
- Vista do Rei viewpoint (overlooking the most famous lagoons of Sete Cidades)
- Pico do Carvão
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Local ceramics factory (Cerâmica Vieira)
- Lagoa do Fogo viewpoint
- Ribeira Grande city center, with a visit to the local liquor shop
9AM - 5PM: Furnas Tour
Furnas Valley is famous worldwide for its bubbling caldeiras and hot springs, where visitors can relax while soaking in a thermal bath any time of year, but this mystical volcanic valley is full of many more interesting surprises.
Highlights of this tour include:
- Vila Franca do Campo (offering a viewpoint to the iconic islet)
- Furnas Lake (here, learn how the famous "cozido" dish is cooked underground by heat from the actual volcanic vents!)
- Furnas parish (you will have free time to bathe in the thermal waters here, or visit the Terra Nostra Garden)
- Cozido lunch
- Visit Furnas "calderas" to see the volcanic activity
- Pico do Ferro viewpoint
- Tea Factory
- Santa Iria Viewpoint
Please note: Terra Nostra Park and/or Dona Beija entrance fees (8€-10€ each) are not included. Also, it is advised that you bring dark-colored bathing suits, an old towel, and a change of clothes (bathing in the thermal waters is known to stain fabrics). And blondes who dye their hair are cautioned to close pay attention as well, as the waters here contain iron and can stain hair the lighter hair pigments.
08:30AM - 12:30PM: Whale & Dolphin Watching Excursion
Take the opportunity to observe some of the dozens of cetacean species that are usually seen in the Azores. While nature is indeed wild, and offers no guarantees, whales and dolphins are regularly seen during our half-day tours. During this tour, you will have the opportunity to observe turtles, birds, and other marine species. Before you embark on the boat trip, expert biologists hold a small informative talk to explain which cetacean species can be observed, the safety measures and protocols for behavior on board – including how we respect animals and what the rules for observation at sea are. You will even learn some fascinating historical facts.
4PM - 6PM: Azorean & Portuguese Gin Masterclass (suggested experience)
The Azores may be a tiny archipelago in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, but that hasn't stopped it from producing several excellent gins. Botanicals and ingredients grown on the islands are also used in several gins made in mainland Portugal. Baleia, which means “Whale” in English, is one of the gins you will try and is created by your host and gin curator here at the Solar Branco Eco Estate, Ali Bullock.
9AM to 4:30PM: Salto do Prego Hiking Trail (Faial da Terra) & Van Tour to Nordeste (Suggested experience)
You can combine the adventure of one of the most beautiful hikes in São Miguel Island with a comfortable van tour to Nordeste – all in one experience! After enjoying the wonderful hike of Salto do Prego, the tour stops in the center of Faial da Terra village to relax and explore the old whalers harbor. In the second half of the day, the road will take you to various viewpoints along the coastline of Nordeste, one of the most beautiful parts of São Miguel Island! Among these amazing viewpoints are two favorites: Ponta do Sossego and Vista dos Barcos. Our last stop of the day will be the Park of Ribeira dos Caldeirões, where you will enjoy the sighting of another breathtaking waterfall before returning to Ponta Delgada.
Check out and head to the airport for your return flight home. (transfer out also included)
*Itinerary presented is a suggestion and the length of stay may vary. All tours are suggestions unless specifically stated.
About the Hotels:
Canadiano - Urban Nature Hotel
For almost 70 years, the Canadiano | Urban Nature Hotel has celebrated the Azores' natural landscapes and urban life through its design and location in the heart of Ponta Delgada. While originally opened in 1982 by Azores locals, Edmundo and Teolinda Pavão, Canadiano has recently undergone a full renovation by the hands of their grandchildren, continuing the property’s wonderful heritage through a modern renewal of Edmundo and Teolinda’s vision.
Located in the historic center of Ponta Delgada, the new hotel is just steps from the city's museums, gardens, restaurants and shops and provides an ideal starting point for an unforgettable trip to São Miguel Island.
São Miguel Park Hotel
The São Miguel Park Hotel is a heaven of relaxation and comfort situated in the heart of Ponta Delgada. Located within a picturesque garden setting, this modern four-star hotel offers guests an abundance of amenities, including a restaurant serving delicious local cuisine, a swimming pool with sun loungers, a bar and a terrace area looking out over the stunning blue ocean. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or just some time away from it all, the São Miguel Park Hotel provides an unforgettable experience that you won't soon forget.
About the Destination:
Visitors to São Miguel will be welcomed by the island’s unparalleled natural beauty, biodiversity and blend of old-world hospitality and modern comforts. Travelers can take in the Azores’ most iconic viewpoints and famed crater lakes, including Sete Cidades, Lagoa do Fogo and Furnas Lake, before unwinding in the island’s natural hot springs found inland or tucked along the stunning, volcanic rocky coast. Visitors can catch a glimpse of the island’s most famed visitors - over 20 species of whales and dolphins - while onboard a whale and dolphin watching boat excursion, or immerse themselves in São Miguel’s cultures and flavors with a visit to its tea and pineapple plantations. Of course a trip to São Miguel isn’t complete without a stay at the island’s main hub, Ponta Delgada, offering a great array of modern accommodations and tourist attractions. And whether you prefer staying in the lap of luxury or are planning to be on a more strict budget, São Miguel, Azores, has the perfect fit for any traveler!